Voting

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The day after...

This is a do-over.  Yesterday's blog seemed incomplete.

Yesterday at 11:17 am two men, Jeremiah Mumford and William Clayton went into Maynard Savings Bank armed with what we have heard was an AK47 and two other handguns.  They robbed the bank and took off down gravel roads.

Ben was in New Hampton and thought to himself, "If I robbed a bank and was headed this direction what roads would I travel?"

Turns out he was right.  Too right.

He identified the car traveling at 40 mph on a gravel road.  He called it in and began his pursuit.  Chief Dennis Cain was also in pursuit.  Ben was the lead car.  He came under gunfire within a few miles.  One shot hit the A frame of his car.  He slowed down and the next shot went in his windshield and out the back window.

He called out on the radio, "Shots fired.  Shots fired.  Shots fired."

Cain took the lead and Mumford unleashed 6 rounds into his vehicle.  Two of the bullets hit him.  Ben was the first one to Cain and helped hold pressure on his wounds, soon a deputy assisted him.  Ben will tell you that it seemed to take the ambulance forever to arrive on the scene.  Those on the other side of the radio will tell you that for some time they lost contact with Ben and Dennis because Ben couldn't talk on the radio while holding Cain's wounds... they only knew that an officer was down and that was all the information that they had for awhile.

As soon as he had a chance to call me he did...
"I'm okay Kelly.  I am okay.  You need to know that I.am.fine."
"Okay?... What?..."
"I was shot at today. Twice. I'm okay.  I didn't even get any glass on me..."

And after he told that he had been shot at I didn't really hear anything else.  This was not happening.  He's DOT.  This is not supposed to happen.

Of course we know that this is a possibility.  Of course we know that as a certified police officer that he faces dangers every time he puts his uniform on and gets into his patrol car.  But, yesterday that became all too real.

He came home early.  But there were still men that are close friends, some we'd even count as brothers, who were still in harm's way as we waited to hear if they would apprehend Mumford and Clayton without further incident.

While we were waiting for word on the two men at large we were overwhelmed with the care that the Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Enforcement agency gave us.  We were well cared for by our families, our church family, friends, neighbors and police friends from all over the state.

We were also able to meet Dennis Cain's family and we hope that we were an encouragement for them.  We ask that you would continue to pray for him and also for Officer Domino.  But, we would also ask you to pray for all of the law enforcement who were involved in yesterdays events.  We ask that you might pray for those who were in the bank at the time of the robbery and all others who were effected.

Please pray for our hearts as we have just today actually seen the faces and learned the names of Mumford and Clayton.  We do not want to become hardhearted and bitter.  But, we will be at the trials, oh we will be at the trials...

Please pray that we get good rest.  Last night was rough.  Please also pray that we would have time to "decompress" and that we could do that in our own timing.

I am reminded time and time again that I'm not a widow and that my children are not orphans.  I am reminded of the goodness and the faithfulness of God and that every morning His mercies are made new.  And in the midst of that I am also reminded that yesterday two men tried to murder my husband.

7 comments:

Nichole said...

I have no words. As soon as I read the article on KCCI, I immediately thought of you, then of Hotsauce. I went to your FB page and saw your post. Then I immediately called Officer McShiny Pants.

So scary, so terrifying, and so humbling. Love ya.

Unknown said...

Praying for both of you guys!

Sarah said...

Oh Kelly! Paul mentioned something about this last night and I asked if it was anyone he knew, of course thinking of Ben right away. Paul said, "probably not" I am SOOOO extremely proud of him and sOOOOOOO extremely grateful to GOD for keeping him safe. I know that I have extra preggo hormones in me right now but I am a teary mess! Praying for you and all affected by the events of that day!

Ben and Kelly Turkey said...

Thanks for your prayers and love. Today we were able to laugh and joke... We will heal.

Monica Waddell said...

Oh Kelly :( So sorry to hear you guys went throught his trauma. I'm so glad God was with Ben yesterday and gave him the wisdom to be strong and be a testimony to his fellow officer. We still think of you guys as 'dear' friends....and miss all of our fun times and memories together :) So glad to hear that everything is okay! God is good. All the time! Love you all.

Ben and Kelly Turkey said...

Thanks Monica! We count you as dear friends as well. It's scary sometimes, but we know that God has our days counted and that we can trust Him with whatever comes our way!

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

I heard the story on the news Tuesday, but I had no idea Ben was involved. It has been a busy week so I just now came across this. Now there is no doubt what will top your list of blessings this Thanksgiving season! Praising God that Ben was unharmed, and praying for emotional recovery for all involved.