Voting

Monday, January 24, 2011

Downright outright ferhoodled!

I'm an avid reader... almost always of Christian fiction.  I love all things Karen Kingsbury and cannot wait to get my hands on her newest book "Unlocked" and I'm now doubly excited to see that she is going to be doing a Bailey Flanigan series!  Oh my word I'll be dancing in the streets soon... well if it wasn't so stinking cold out I would be!  Though as a completely random side note I would say that on the front of the book "Leaving" that Bailey does not look like that... I'm not a fan of when they put pictures of the characters on the covers because they never get it right...

Yet, that really isn't what this blog is about.  You see since the library doesn't have "Unlocked" so I've been reading some Beverly Lewis novels.  Beverly Lewis grew up in Pennsylvania Amish country and as far as I can tell writes the great majority of her books about the Amish.  I find this especially interesting since there are so many Amish near us.  I was telling Ben last night all that I've been learning about the Amish and how incredibly interesting it is to me.  I think it would be very hard to find a harder working people... especially in the United States where so many are prone to entitlement issues (which could start a political debate and that is not the focus of this blog either)  They also have a strong sense of family and usually have very large families... even bigger than mine!!  :)  They live a hard life and quite honestly its the life that they have chosen.

It's my understanding that they have a bishop and under him there are 2 preachers (perhaps more or less depending on the size of the district that they reside in.)  The bishop is the chosen one of God who determines just about everything "religious" at least in the Old Order Amish.  He determines what color of cloth can be used to make clothing out of, what Scripture can be read aloud (or at all) what topics will be preached on... he determines just about everything in the society.  He is divinely selected  by the choosing of lots.  And when he is chosen he and his family will mourn, just as the preachers when they are chosen will mourn.  Their chosen work is laid aside for those he will serve.

The Pennsylvania Dutch Amish aren't actually Dutch nor do they speak Dutch, but instead are from German heritage and speak a dialect of German.  All sermons though are preached in High German and the majority of those in attendance understand a few words and phrases but might miss concepts altogether.  Seems like if you're going to have a 3-hour preaching service every other Sunday in a packed house that you'd want to be able to understand what's going on!  But, I suppose that if you allow The People to read their Bibles and preach in a language that they understand something downright, outright ferhoodling could happen and they might understand that their good works might won't bring the hope of salvation to their lives.  For to say that one is saved among the Amish is a mighty proud thing to do and will bring the Bann on you.  When you're under the Bann you have 6 weeks to change your mind and repent (or bend your knee) in front of The People at a preaching service.  While under the Bann you are not allowed to eat at the same table of  The People, including your own family, you cannot sleep in the same bed as your spouse and you cannot give/receive services for the exchange of money among the brethren.  Also most everyone will not look at you let alone speak with you.  If you refuse to repent then you will be Shunned. You will never be allowed back amongst your family or friends and if your family or friends seek you out they face the Shunning also.  Such a hard life indeed.


I recently finished The Courtship of Nellie May Fisher series and have decided that of the series that I've read of Beverly Lewis including Abrams Daughters and Annie's People that it is probably my favorite.  But, that also could be because it's the one that is freshest in my mind.

I would encourage you if you have any desire in learning more about the Amish that these books are easy to read and very entertaining as well... not quite Karen Kingsbury quality, but that's just my biased opinion.  Make sure that when you read about the Amish that you have a friend read some along with you so that when you start saying things such as "ferhoodled", "ain't so", "for sure and for certain" and "bemuddled" that someone else will giggle and understand what you're saying!

Happy reading!