Voting

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Team Hoyt and Team Driscoll

I posted a video off of Youtube before this post.  Please take time to watch it and then return here for my amazing insights!

I have heard of The Iron Man before, but have never watched it... let alone participated.  I believe it is the hardest triathlon in the world.  It consists of a 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bike and a marathon (26.2 miles 42.195 km) run, raced in that order and without a break. (Um, seriously, without a break?  How about a few months in between?).  The swim begins at 7 AM and to complete the race you must finish by midnight... the same day.  Forget completing it by midnight, I would drown in the first 100 yards.

Rick Hoyt could never participate in the Iron Man without help.  It was a physical impossibility.  Doctors told Rick's parents that he should be institutionalized.  And today he's an Iron Man.  His father, Dick Hoyt, has a heart condition and still he competes because his son asked him to.  They started off running a charity race for a paralyzed athlete, next came marathons and finally the Iron Man.
As I watch the video I wonder if Ben would do that for our boys.  I think he would.  I know I couldn't.  At least I don't think I could.

Perhaps the most inspirational part of the video is the ending ... the gates of heaven... where those in the stands are cheering and undoubtedly some are crying and the pure joy on the faces of Dick and Rick as they finish the race hard.

And so it is with us.  Apart from our Father we can't even be in the race... let alone have any hope of reaching the gates of heaven.  And because the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world we have faith that though we have sinned and couldn't finish the race set out for us that our God will run on our behalf.  Moreover, he has given His Son to die on our behalf.  What cheers will rise up when we at last arrive at heaven's gates, knowing that we arrived because of the efforts of our loving Father.

 Team Driscoll also has reason to cheer and to celebrate in the love of our heavenly Father.  Many of you have been praying for me and for the biopsy that I had done yesterday.  The test itself was very painful, but the end results are worth celebrating as there is no reason to believe that I have cancer!!!  There are still some issues that need to be dealt with and they will hopefully all be resolved with an outpatient surgery (really 3 surgeries at once) on the 21st of March.  While I don't look forward to surgery ... this will be my 8th in 9 years... it's absolutely better than having cancer!!  Our God is a mighty God and I'm very thankful to my prayer warriors!!

No comments: