Voting

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stop, drop and THINK!

Recently Ben and I started a Bible Study with 4 other couples in the church.  We missed the first 2 lessons because of babysitting conflicts, but made it to the third lesson.  The thrust of the lesson was teaching people how to start thinking Biblically.  Which for me translates how do I get my kids to think biblically... how do I get them to think by using the Bible as their filter.

Which lead me to this next critical question.  How do we teach people to think?

Take a look around and it will become quickly obvious that people no longer spend much time thinking.  I can think of a million examples of this... but I'm sure my readers can THINK of a few of your own.

This question was brought up again today while reading over a couple of Facebook status updates.  Honestly, Facebook is a breeding ground for people who simply don't think, which is a whole other discussion!  Today, one of my younger friends posted that he's "Wondering if I should gauge my ears"...

.
He wants to look like this!

Now, personally my immediate answer to this question is... "No.  Yuck.  Who would do that?"  But, I don't believe this is a moral issue, per se, and it's between him and his parents.



So here's the part that really made me want to slam my head repeatedly against the wall (good thing I'm a thinker and was able to resist...) one of the young man's friend was very supportive of this idea and had this to say to the nay-sayers, "You can't say its stupid or gross untill u try it."   I decided to copy and paste his response from Facebook, so that I wouldn't misquote him.  Let's see how many holes we can find in his logic...





"You can't say its stupid or gross untill u try it "



Anyone coming up with anything that refutes this line of reasoning?  I know it's pretty solid.  I apologize for this, but I really don't have to try drinking my own pee to know that it would be both stupid and gross to do.  What do you have in mind that you wouldn't have to do to know that it's both stupid and gross?  Think about it and hit me up with your answers! :)

No comments: