Voting

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Thanks for the advice Nancy!

Today we didn't go on the field trip planned by our home school group.

I said no... just like Nancy Reagan taught me to.

My turkeys really wanted to go, Ben thought it would be a good idea to go, a few of the other moms told me to go (while a few said they understood why I wasn't going... and one said she was jealous) and a few other random people who I confided in told me to go...

I still said no.

It's March and March Madness is alive and well in our home.  No, not the NCAA basketball tournament, but the chaos that is our home in March.

And to be honest that chaos that is our home in January, February, April, May, September, October, November and December.  In short any month that is not summer break!

Around mid-February I start to feel the itch.  The winter blues mixed with school blues and topped off with we have something planned for every day of the week except two and those two days get filled up relatively quickly.

Around this point in the school year I feel overwhelmed and just plain weepy.  I don't want to do school anymore.  I don't want to be stuck inside anymore.  I'm tired of my winter clothes and I start giving up... seriously.

You don't believe me?  You should have seen me at Awana last night when I picked up kids in too big yoga pants, Ben's insulated flannel shirt and my new polka dotted rubber boots.  While the boots are fabulous the rest of me looked like crud.  I'm shameless and couldn't care less.

My kids are tired of school.  They too are overwhelmed and weepy.

I dream of having a Spring Break, but have to balance that with my desire to just get this over with already.  Do we take a week off in the midst of 30 degree weather for the sake of our sanity?  Or do we wait until April when we may see 70 degree days and we're all itching to get outside??  Maybe when it's 70 degrees out I can make up a reason why we're outside... maybe Vic Collins will show us his bee hives and then we can have a picnic and eat honey and call it a field trip?  Or we will skip Vic and just go bee hunting on our own at City Park! ;)

So perhaps today's field trip would have broken up the chaos a bit.  But, we would still have our curriculum waiting at home.  And it would have weighed heavily on me the whole time we toured The Herbert Hoover Museum.  So I stuck to my schedule and plugged away at English, math, phonics, reading, catechism, and so forth.  I even started a bit with Gabe and the three older kids helped out a bit.  And we continued our research on honey bees which has given us great joy.  God is incredibly wise in His creation.

Determined not to waste the day I did 5 loads of laundry and 2 loads of dishes.  I have supper started for tonight and tomorrow night. I worked on budgeting our tax return.  I did some work for Turkey Bottom Haven.  And I spent 30 minutes solid talking to my husband when he walked in the door... because I was here when he got here.  I didn't have to rush out of bed this morning so I was able to read my Bible and have an awesome prayer time, something that my heart needed.

I'm content with saying no today.  I wish that I would be wise in saying it more often.

No comments: