Voting

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Baby Step #1 ... Our Total Money Makeover Journey

Are you tired of hearing about this yet?? Well, let's assume that I'm a little more excited in these first days then I will be as time wears on!  You know, if you would just read the book already, then you might share in my excitement and be able to start your own blog! ;)

Dave (yes, we're on a first name basis) outlines in his book 7 Baby Steps.  The first one is to have a $1,000 in an emergency fund.  I was telling a friend this the other day and she exclaimed, "THAT'S A BABY STEP??"  I completely understand.

So how do you get $1,000 in your emergency fund? Well, you can either bring in more income, save it by cutting out extras, or by selling things you already have.  Well, I mentioned that Ben and I are praying about one of us getting a part-time job... but in the meantime we are digging through our stuff and looking for things that we can sell.  Dave says that you should sell so much stuff that your kids start to wonder if they're next!  Now, there's a good idea!

Any idea what this is?  That's 3 20 dollar bills and 3 5 dollar bills.  20+20+20+5+5+5= Just the beginning.  We sold an old laptop that's been laying around collecting dust. It needed a new motherboard and we had already "had it fixed" twice.  So when I came across a guy on Facebook who said that he bought broken laptops I thought, we have one of those!  And I sold it.  And it felt great.  Now, maybe we could have gotten more for it and you're going to try to burst my bubble and say that you know a guy that would have given me twice that much.  Well, maybe so.  But, here's the thing.  We stopped talking about starting the TMM and we have begun our fund. 

Now, $75 isn't exactly a fortune.  But, it's preparing me for letting go of things that I really want to hold onto.  I want to get start pushing the snowball and not running from it!  So this is our first success and we will celebrate it!... and not by going to HuHots and wasting it!

Here's another look at our new beginning!!

And with a Sepia tone!  
Actually we're celebrating by watching the Financial Peace University DVDs that a friend lent to us for the long Labor Day weekend!  And you know how the rest of you are enjoying a 3 day weekend?  Well, Hotsauce worked today... yep, OVERTIME BABY! :) Normally I would be whining and crying and kicking and screaming because he had to work and I wanted him to be home with me.  But, now I realize it for the gift that it is... another blessing from God that is going to push that snowball! So that money will make it's way into the emergency fund too.  I can almost hear Davey (yes, he likes that nickname, but only when I say it) cheering us on! 

I'm also excited that some friends are asking about reading the TMM or asking if I know where they can the FPU class.  Well, let me say, I've got the wheels turning on that class thing...

Stay tuned for Part 4 coming soon!!

No comments: