Voting

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Twas the night before Halloween...

Twas the night before Halloween, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse...


So last night Ben and I were playing cards (we were teaching ourselves to play 2-handed Pinochle) and as we placed a card on the table something flew between us.  We kept playing for a second before we locked eyes and realized what was going on.  The noise that we had heard earlier in the night coming from the "tool room" was not a mouse.  It was not Roscoe.  Our guest was one of our biggest fears... it was none other than Count Dracula's alter-ego.


I did the only rational thing I could think of... I put my hood up and ran frantically looking for a blanket to give my head further protection.  In the midst of my insanity I have a moment of clarity that tells me...STOOOOOOPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU'RE RUNNING STRAIGHT TOWARDS THE RABIES-INFECTED- BLOOD- SUCKING - RODENT!!!!!!!!


In the meantime I hear Ben banging and clanging in the kitchen.  I also think that I hear a faint "whooossshhh, whooosshhh" sound.  But, nothing is going to stop me from running around in mass hysteria.  Now some of the events get a little fuzzy, but I do recall with some sort of certainty that the bat landed on my head and made some sort of nest with my hair.  Also while running around I found Ben laying on the kitchen floor with a broom in his hand which I think is the source of the clanging, banging and whooshing.


After a few minutes of this we managed to get it together and Ben hunted the bat down in the TV room clinging to our banister.  He managed to talk me into finding the kids butterfly net... but I failed and couldn't find it.  Which meant that I had to stand with the broom and keep my eye out on the bat while he frantically searched the girls room for the missing toy turned rodent catcher.


Without much effort we (translated "Ben") was successful in catching the bat.  Not knowing how to get the bat out of the net Ben just threw the whole thing in the yard.  For our concerned PETA friends we did see the bat eventually fly out of the net.


After coming back to our senses we had a wonderful laugh and a slight tiff over whether the bat actually landed in my hair, if it ever even touched me or if I let my fear override my logic...  I guess we'll never know this side of heaven!

3 comments:

The Berryman Family said...

HILARIOUS!!!!! I believe you when you say the bat landed in your hair - I'm sure it would have 'landed' in mine too :o)

Ben and Kelly Turkey said...

I knew I could count on you to understand the terror of the moment!

Anonymous said...

LOL...Kelly, you and Ben are always good for a laugh. I would have probably done the same thing...you are actually better than me...I wouldn't have helped at all. And if I did...would have cried the whole time.