Voting

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On being the Pastor's Daughter in Law...

I married Hotsauce without really knowing how his father's profession would influence my life.  I would imagine that most people don't consider this when they are mulling over the characteristics of what they want in a spouse.  Unless of course their soon to be in-law is a celebrity, politician or mob boss that is...

So here I am 10 years into this marriage and find that once again being the pastor's daughter-in-law is effecting the number of text messages I am receiving.  This next statement is no surprise to anyone who knows Pastor Dan... while he is a passionate teacher of The Word and lover of his flock, he is organizationally challenged. 

He is also not a woman.

There I said it. He is NOT a woman. Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

So you see, as a not-woman, he does not think like a woman.  I believe Hotsauce got this attribute from his dad, as I'm sure it didn't come from his mama!  So when Pastor Not-Woman Dan plans an overnight retreat he thinks "No big deal."  While women of our congregation go mad crazy trying to figure out exactly what a communal meal is and how it translates on their grocery shopping lists, what to pack for bedding, if they will need to bring ear plugs to drown out the snoring of men that don't normally share a room with them and other such things... and so I find my phone blowing up with text messages at really odd times of the day.

I believe some people are afraid to ask PN-WD (Pastor Not-Woman Dan) because they think it's a silly question and why bother PN-WD with something so insignificant when he's probably preparing sermons, visiting drug addicts in jail and praying over the nearly dead.  But, he does have a wife, they could text her... but she's probably praying and fasting for her husband who's probably preparing sermons, visiting drug addicts in jail and praying over the nearly dead.  So, the next "best" option is the daughter-in-law, because they know Hotsauce will tell them to just go figure it out themselves.

Now, let me make this very clear.  I do not mind, not even a little bit.  It may even go to my head sometimes... I may catch myself thinking that everyone must really care about what I'm feeding my family and the number of sleeping bags I'm packing!  Then, of course, reality hits me square in the face and I am reminded that I'm the Pastor's nearest living relative that isn't praying, fasting, or visiting the addicted and dying... who may have already asked PN-WD the very same questions that I'm being asked.  So, wait, you don't care that we will be having 3 solid meals of hot dogs??  Weird.

I also like to think that my very unique position keeps many a lady out of the communion wine.  Just playing my part in keeping the Kingdom pure. ;)


 

No comments: